Friday, March 6, 2015

EIGHT TIPS FOR A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP

sleep sleeping tips

I read somewhere once that it takes the average person 15-20 minutes to fall asleep. Alex is always envious of how quickly I doze off, I can literally close my eyes and seconds later I'm fast asleep. I use a combination of things to help me sleep well and get on average 8 hours a night, here are my tips for a good nights sleep;

1. Count your blessings, not sheep. (Love this)

2. Use lavender or lavender oil to relax: Lavender induces sleep and it's calming scent helps to reduce nerves and anxiety. I keep a small lavender pillow (made by my mum) in my bedside drawer to pop under my pillow if I feel anxious or I'm having trouble sleeping. You can get some great sleep sprays and roller balls like the This Work Deep Pillow Spray and the Tisserand Lavender roller ball, they both contain lavender and chamomile which are great for helping you to relax and drift off to sleep.

3. Invest in good bedding and soft pyjamas: Being comfortable in bed is a must for a good nights sleep. I love Next pajamas and TKmaxx and The White Company sell some incredibly soft bedding. I like to change my bedding every 1-2 weeks to keep it fresh and every now and then I also like to sprinkle a light dusting of baking soda and a few drops of lavender essential oil onto my mattress, I let it sit for an hour before hoovering off to make sure my mattress stays clean and fresh.

4. Have a bedtime routine: Sticking to a routine helps me to unwind and lets my body prepare for sleep. I often have a relaxing bath with aromatherapy essential oils, take time to do my nighttime skincare routine, clean my teeth and then read in bed for 20 minutes. That way I can switch off and disconnect, ready for bed. Getting into a routine that allows you go to sleep at the same time each night is also beneficial for your sleep quality.

5. Breathe deeply: Another thing I do if I'm having trouble sleeping is to focus on my breathing. Taking a few deep breaths whilst being mindful of any tense areas of your body and slowly relaxing them on an exhale can really help if you're feeling restless. Trying to meditate and really concentrating on my breath helps to clear my mind and let's my body relax ready for sleep.

6. Read a book before bed: I love reading on my iPad but I save a paperback book on my bedside table for reading in bed. It let's you disconnect from technology and reading a slow paced book always helps me to drift off, I save the exciting ones that you can finish in just one sitting for lazy Sundays!

7. Have a comfortable environment for sleeping. I always aim to have a clean, clutter free bedroom. My bedroom furniture is all white, I have minimal clutter and try to keep it cool (temperature-wise) and a nice place to relax. With lighter mornings creeping in it's worth investing in thick curtains or a sleep mask. I prefer to use a sleep mask (I have this silky soft one from etsy) as it's better to try and wake up naturally with the sun but there's some mornings when you really just need to pop your mask on and lay in!

8. Beauty: Although bedside beauty isn't an essential, if I have dry hands or lips I find it easier to sleep if I moisturise them before bed. I always keep Nuxe Reve de Miel close by to dab on my lips before bed, It keeps my lips nourished and hydrated. I love Neils Yard Geranium and Orange hand cream as the scent is really uplifting. I also make sure to have a glass of water to hand to keep hydrated.

What are your tips for a good nights sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment